The purpose of this blog is to keep in touch with family and friends at home, not to host lengthy word battles about the rights of women. I enjoyed reading posts from family and friends, but the latest bout of debate made me throw up in my mouth a little.
I'm not mad, and really enjoyed reading the well argued posts AE made. Admittedly, I agree wholeheartedly with her side of the debate. I can't fathom arguing for women's continued repression in India to avoid consumption and consumerism. Yes! Let's keep Indian women prisoners of dowry, prisoners of men, unable to see their maternal families. Let's keep them dependent on husbands who many times don't value them more than their cattle. When asked about marriage, one girl from the college recently replied that marriage is the end of the world. A recent study found that 54% of women in India believe it is justified for a husband to beat them if they neglect children or the household, and 51% of men agree. I can assure you, that freedom to a woman of rural India has little or nothing to do with consumerism, and everything to do with choice. I don't mean choice as in "Which extra value meal should I have today?" but rather, some choice of a marriage partner, the ability to escape an abusive relationship, the choice of higher education, and yes, even the choice of having a career if a career is desired. In a country filled to the brim with people, why would one argue about continuing the human race, especially one who once argued that the world is like a boat, an overfilled boat that is sinking, and we're going to have to start pushing people out of it for some to survive?
I do not wish to address this ill managed debate further, see it continue or see another begin. I have disabled the comments feature, so that this blog can be used for the purpose it was intended: a lighthearted, thoughtful account of my adventures in India for those who are interested enough to read it.
-----
My mom once said that she had put 2 packages in the mail to me, had shipped them express, and that I should have it in one week. Today, one month later, they finally arrived, and I can't remember the last time I was so excited to open a package.
Kelly and I went sari shopping, she picked up 3 new saris and I got 2. We now have 7 between the two of us, and have decided to share them and wear them often. We'll see if we actually do it, but we're planning on wearing them everyday.
Yesterday was the festival of Dasera, where you pay respect to your elders with leaves, that, for a day, are called gold leaves. So you give your elders, people that you meet, and friends leaves, and they bless you. The elders give candy to the children who come and touch their feet. In some ways, it reminded me of Halloween, the house visits, the candy..
For lunch, we went to a friend's home. After an amazing meal, she gave Kelly and I presents of Punjabi dresses that she will stitch to our measurements. I'm so excited to have a Punjabi dress that fits me well!
I am really enjoying teaching right now. Watching my students improve is a high.
My reces-pieces, skittles induced sugar high is now wearing off... its time for bed. More soon...