Thursday, September 20, 2007

it's getting better all the time

The last week has been the most frustrating one since I've been here, and I've been avoiding blogging about it. Yesterday, however, most of my frustrations were solved.

I now have my own bike, its red, and the shape of it kind of reminds me of Pee Wee's bike. Whenever I need to go into town, I can.

I've decided on doing a research project on the issue of farmer suicides here in the Yavatmal District. The numbers of suicides in India are the highest in the state of Maharashtra, and specifically, in the district I am in. I plan to do a number of interviews with the widows, and a few photo stories or one photo essay to accompany it. I'm also starting a documentary about Umarkhed, a photo story on the girl's handball team, and a story about a couple of physicians.

I've started cooking dinner for myself at night, which is a lot of fun. I am going to make curd today! The doctor brought a culture of his curd to start it... so from now on, all we need is milk, and within 24 hours, we'll have curd. I want to invite my friends Harish and Pankaj over for dinner sometime soon. I'm looking forward to being a host for a night, rather than a guest.

I've also started running in the early morning in the fields behind the college. The landscape is full of rolling hills, and I run on paths carved by bullock carts. Every morning I walk past a village ( so that the dogs don't chase me ), stretch under an amazing tree, and run.. Yesterday I ended my run at a small uncovered temple under a huge tree filled with parrots.

Our trip to Mumbai is coming up. We leave for the big city on Oct. 9th. I'm really excited, excited to wear jeans, excited to be in a city... although I'm pretty sure that after 5 days there, I'll be ready to be back in Umarkhed..

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Spoke with my friend Bhushan yesterday and mentioned that you would be going there. He said that the city is way more crowded than New York City and that it is huge. He said that you can't stretch out your arm without hitting 5 other people. He said it would be VERY different from where you are now. He also mentioned that the air pollution is very bad there. Be prepared. :-)